19 July 2010

Sweetness

It's been a busy time in our home. My husband has been traveling in the region for business, my daughter has been finishing up the school year and I'm five and a half months pregnant. My son turned four last month and during the 'growing up' his heart melting adorableness has stayed in tact. Funny how that happens.

Last night I tucked him in and after our nightly bedtime songs, he wrapped his arms around my neck for a hug and a kiss. He didn't let go. "Mama, I need to tell you something. I want all of my family together always. I don't want to be in the bed alone (said with very sleepy eyes) and I want papa to come home and I want the baby to come out and say hi to me and I want my sister to come read to me and I want mama to wrap us all up and keep us together forever."

And, with that, I melted.

Cooking in Thailand, entry no. 87
Citrus cookies
These look like an exotic slice of citrus fruit and have a wonderfully crisp, thin texture. A wonderfully-- just perfectly--- sweet treat.

Ingredients:
1 cup of unsalted butter
6 ounces of cream cheese
1 cup of sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
the zest of two limes
the zest of one lemon
green food coloring
yellow food coloring

Method:
Cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar together until light in color and well mixed. Add the egg, vanilla, baking powder, soda and salt. Mix well. Add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time and mixing just until the flour is combined into the dough. Divide the dough in half and place in separate bowls. In one, add the lime zest and a few drops of green food coloring. Mix to achieve a bright green color (add more coloring until desired color is reached). Repeat with the other bowl of dough, adding the lemon zest and the yellow food coloring. Spread a long sheet of parchment or plastic wrap onto a clean counter. Place half of the green dough onto the parchment, spread to create a narrow, long rectangle of even thickness. Place all of the yellow dough on top of the spread, keeping to the middle (so that you still have an edge of green visible). Finally, place the remaining green dough over the yellow and use clean hands to encase the yellow 'center' completely. Roll the parchment around the dough, encasing it completely into a tube. Place overnight in refrigerator. The next day, remove and slice into very thin rounds (revealing a lemon center surrounded by lime). Place onto a silicon lined (or greased) baking sheet. Bake at 350 for approximately 5 minutes (allow cookies to brown just very slightly at the edges and remove quickly-- they will look cake-like in consistency). Cool on baking sheet and allow cookies to harden, loosing their cake-like consistency and turning firm. Store uneaten cookies in an airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. AWWW--my younger daughter wanted to marry me so she could always live with me. But all that changed when she turned 11 or so and couldn't wait to get away. :) It's still so sweet when they say stuff like that, even though we know they'll change their minds later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dabbing at a few happy tears, thankful for your blog and for amazing little people.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing your comment!