13 July 2010

Certainty

I love the absolute certainty with which my daughter leads her life. I will miss these days should that certainty diminish. She's full of energy, enthusiasm for learning and humor. And, she is always right. Anyone else have a six year old and relate?

Today, she said, "Mom, I have a reading book ready for us and I read the 'bloob' and it sounds pretty good." After quiet pondering, reading the book with her and more pondering, I realized that she meant to say 'blurb'. Of course, there was no way I was going to convince her of that. So, for now, if your interested in finding out what a book may be about prior to reading it... consult the 'bloob' on the back cover. That's what we'll be doing in our home.

Cooking in Thailand, entry no 88:
Kid's Fave: Pink Pasta Salad
My daughter LOVES this dish. During the school year, I pack it in her lunch box and it's one of the few pieces of her lunch that returns home with a completely empty container!

Ingredients:
1/2 cucumber, peeled and cubed into bite-sized pieces
1/2 carrot, peeled and cubed into bite-sized pieces
1 green onion, diced
2 cups of uncooked pasta (choose a fun shape)
1 fresh beet, cut into four pieces (wash, but do not peel)
white vinegar, 1/8 cup
olive oil, 1/8 cup
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Fill a large pot full of water, a pinch of salt and the beet. Bring to a full rolling boil and add the pasta. Cook until al dente. While the pasta is cooking, add the vinegar and olive oil to a mixing bowl. Add the cucumber, carrot and green onion and toss to coat. When the pasta is cooked, drain, remove beet pieces and immediately add the pasta to the vegetable mix. Stir well and season with salt and pepper as desired. Cool, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

2 comments:

  1. That is such a gorgeously colored and enticing salad. (perfect for our latest spell of hot weather in WA) I'm all over pasta salads in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Bangkok too and found your blog a few months back during the protests. I love reading about your experiences and hope that my family life is someday as vibrant as yours. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing your comment!